Current:Home > NewsFormer model accuses onetime Harvey Weinstein associate of sexual assault -Capitatum
Former model accuses onetime Harvey Weinstein associate of sexual assault
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:48:43
In New York State Supreme Court on Thursday, a former model filed a lawsuit alleging that she was raped by Fabrizio Lombardo, a onetime associate of disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein. The suit also named Weinstein, Disney, and Miramax as defendants, saying they "were negligent or recklessly indifferent to the harm that Lombardo inflicted."
The suit was filed by Sara Ziff, who founded Model Alliance, a nonprofit advocacy organization for workers in the fashion industry. She alleges that in 2001, when she was 19, she was raped by Lombardo after a film screening. "Mr. Lombardo invited Ms. Ziff to go to a nearby hotel with him on the pretense that they would be joined by Harvey Weinstein and another young woman who attended the screening," the suit contends, noting that Ziff thought it would be a business opportunity as a model and aspiring actress.
The lawsuit says that instead it was "a trap set by Mr. Lombardo to get Ms. Ziff alone and rape her."
At the time, Lombardo was an executive with Miramax, the film studio co-founded by Weinstein. The former movie mogul is currently serving 39 years in prison for sex crimes in New York and California. NPR has reached out to Lombardo's representatives, but has not been able to get any comment.
According to The New York Times, Ziff filed a police report in 2017, but no charges were filed. NPR hasn't been able to independently verify what the police report alleged. She told the Times she had been hesitant to come forward before now. "I couldn't even talk to anyone about it for the first few years, let alone imagine taking legal action," said Ziff, now 40 years old.
Ziff says she reconsidered when the Adult Survivor's Act passed last year. The legislation extended the time adult sex crime victims can bring civil claims that would otherwise have expired under the statute of limitations.
Weinstein once credited Lombardo with saving his life and reportedly served as best man at Lombardo's 2003 wedding. Lombardo was head of Miramax Italy.
In 2018, Lombardo was named in a sexual harassment class action lawsuit against the Weinstein company and others, which claimed that Lombardo enabled Weinstein's abuse by helping to "procure and deceive potential victims." Lombardo never appeared in court and the suit was later settled. He hasn't responded to this latest allegation.
This week's lawsuit also names Weinstein, Disney, and its subsidiaries Buena Vista, and Miramax. Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but Weinstein's attorney Imran H. Ansari said in a statement to NPR, "Certainly Mr. Weinstein had no control over any alleged conduct by Mr. Lombardo, nor would he have any reason to know what Mr. Lombardo was doing nor where Mr. Lombardo was at the time that Ms. Ziff alleges she was raped. As such, Mr. Weinstein firmly denies that he has any liability for the alleged conduct of another."
Over the years, Ziff has worked on legislation to stop sexual harassment and abuse in the fashion industry. Her organization has also launched an industry-specific support line for people who've experienced sexual harassment and assault.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Kailyn Lowry Shares Her Secrets for Managing the Chaos of Life With 7 Kids
- Jerome Oziel, therapist who heard Menendez brothers' confession, portrayed in Netflix show
- The head of Boeing’s defense and space business is out as company tries to fix troubled contracts
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Elle King Shares Positive Personal Update 8 Months After Infamous Dolly Parton Tribute
- S&P 500, Dow hit record highs after Fed cuts rates. What it means for your 401(k).
- Game of Thrones Cast Then and Now: A House of Stars
- 'Most Whopper
- California fire agency employee arrested on suspicion of starting 5 blazes
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- A stranger said 'I like your fit' then posed for a photo. Turned out to be Harry Styles.
- A Nevada Lithium Mine Nears Approval, Despite Threatening the Only Habitat of an Endangered Wildflower
- Mississippi mayor says a Confederate monument is staying in storage during a lawsuit
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- What the Cast of Dance Moms Has Been Up to Off the Dance Floor
- Phillies torch Mets to clinch third straight playoff berth with NL East title in sight
- A man is fatally shot by officers years after police tried to steer him away from crime
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
South Carolina to execute Freddie Owens despite questions over guilt. What to know
An appeals court has revived a challenge to President Biden’s Medicare drug price reduction program
Miley Cyrus Makes Rare Public Appearance During Outing With Boyfriend Maxx Morando
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
How to recognize the signs and prevent abuse in youth sports
What to watch: Let's be bad with 'The Penguin' and 'Agatha All Along'
Police saved a baby in New Hampshire from a fentanyl overdose, authorities say